Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cell Carriers to Web Customers: Use Us, but Not Too Much -- Modem "Crisis" Redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:08:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: May 11, 2006 12:38:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Cell Carriers to Web Customers: Use Us, but Not Too Much -- Modem "Crisis" Redux

This reminds me of the days when the carriers ranted and raged at length at the damage modems were doing to "their" network. Or when @home complained that they were just joking when they told people they could use the Internet.

The answer for the “modem crisis” was simple and obvious – the only reason modems were a problem was that the carriers were denying people access to the native data packet layer which not only had far more capacity but was far easier to expand and share. We still treat the copper phone pair as a low capacity analog medium rather than a multi-megabit shareable path!

We see the exact same pattern with EVDO et al – while the transport is digital, it is digital over a voice infrastructure whose absolute design requirement is billability. If you look at the protocol diagrams there is a very complex 3G infrastructure that exists to assure BILLABILITY. You can’t simply add capacity without tying it into the legacy complexity and without threatening the scarcity that requires the complexity in order to manage the scarcity and in doing so uses up most of the capacity.

A simple example of the problem can be seen when we have two cell phones next to each other in a “dead zone” – they can’t communicate without going past the billing troll living in the tower (hence the term “troll switch”). Unlike the 802.11 and other packet networks that allow everyone to extend the reach and add capacity we have a network with humongous expensive “towers” (often just antennas glued to the side of a building).

This is a conspiracy fact, not theory. The carriers themselves are proud of this and tout it at major presentations as I note inhttp:// www.frankston.com/?name=AssuringScarcity. They are explicit in stating that were it not for their valiant efforts there would be abundant capacity. They are solving the problem of abundance by guaranteeing everything is kept within billable service channels.

And now they complain that we are using too much of their precious capacity because providing sufficient capacity would decrease their revenues. How convenient. And now they have to prevent a level playing field because giving the sucker an even break just ain’t fair!

The whole idea of building common infrastructure by billing by the electron or inch out of context is, at best, stupid and at worst a malevolent attempt to take value out of the economy while preventing others from creating value.

This should all be infrastructure like roads, not private fiefdoms like railroads. We build our own roads and then choose what path to take even choosing to make our own way rather than stay on the official roads. We mustn’t allow ourselves to be limited to just choosing among the rides the robber barons deign to offer.

Of course we have to pay for it but it’s stupid and utterly naïve to just put a troll at the end of every driveway and have to justify each trip or walk we take. We need to recognize the value inherent in contributing to a common infrastructure and we get far higher cost/ benefit from funding it as such.

But our king might worry about all this rampant freedom – how can he protect our freedom if there aren’t carriers whose trolls can double as moles ... for more on these technical arguments you can read the treatise at http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/jabber/jabberwocky.html