Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cell Carriers to Web Customers: Use Us, but Not Too Much

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:12:26 -0400

I use t-mobile and if you have a Express capable phone you get about 80-100 kb for 19.95/m djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rob Carlson <rob () vees net>
Date: May 11, 2006 12:01:38 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Cell Carriers to Web Customers: Use Us, but Not Too Much

On Thu, 11 May 2006, David Farber wrote:

"The pricing scheme is established," Mr. Beebe said. "It's flat- rate unlimited. That's what consumers are used to, and that's how it's going to be."

This is exactly why I left AT&T Wireless to go to T-Mobile a few years ago. At the time, AT&T Wireless' GPRS packages were offered in megabytes. I believe at the time I had a a 4MB package for $7/mo, with some pretty obnoxious overage fees metered by the kilobyte.

At the exact same time, T-Mobile was offering unlimited for $20/mo. When I cancelled my old service, a retention rep at AT&T even made an effort to offer me an unlimited plan but the best they could come up with was $70/mo for unlimited on top of my $50/mo voice minutes.

Even on months where I use a few hundred KB of data access, I'm still happy to pay the $20/mo flat fee because I know the next month I might spend a week on the road and rack up several hundred megabytes in the car and in various coffee houses and client sites.

I may be capped at 56k throughput by the nature of the GPRS network but I know I can do whatever I want to within the boundary of that bandwidth cap, and I know my bill that month will be within a few dollars of what it was the month before.

I do believe that since then, AT&T Wireless begat Cingular begat AT&T Wireless have assumed more logical pricing plans, but since I'm already a happy customer of a competitor why would I look back?

--
Rob Carlson  rob () vees net  http://vees.net/