Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Karma ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:22:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Bolduc <bolduc () austin rr com>
Date: May 11, 2006 11:17:48 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Fwd: [IP] Karma ...

More from Randall, for IP if you like.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Randall <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: May 11, 2006 9:43:58 AM CDT
To: David Bolduc <bolduc () austin rr com>
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [IP] Karma ...

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 08:47 -0500, David Bolduc wrote:
FYI, in case you're not *getting* IP as well.

Yell if you want anything forwarded.

Thank you.

Looks like I'm getting IP mail - and a friend of mine who has spent
thirty years in the NOC at the former GTE kept at it until she spoke
with someone at Insight who had an explanation, which Dave might want to
send to I-P:

================

I just spent 2 hours on hold and another hour and a half talking with a
kid named [XXXXX XXXXX] at Insight’s technical support.

This whole mess started when Insight decided to break away from at&t’s
backbone and use their servers to form their own backbone.  This
migration is partially complete.  Your server has been changed to the
new backbone and your IP should now begin with 74.128.xxx.xxx. However,
the email servers for your area are still the old way and are
12.208.xxx.xxx.

Mine on the other hand have been pushed back, and both my IP and email
servers are still 12.208.xxx.xxx.

For the time being, there is (according to Robby) virtually no mail
filtering done by Insight.  He says for that reason, many ISPs are
currently blocking mail from us because of the amount of spam emanating from insightbb.com addresses. He gave me no understandable valid reason
why we are unable to receive mail from yahoogroups.com though.  <sigh>

I have two relatives on the west coast that have juno.com addresses, and
they are unable to receive mail from me, although I can receive from
them.

Robby was perfectly willing to check and/or try anything I suggested,
and believe me, I made many suggestions!  Nothing was resolved.

Because of the state of upheaval, and the fact that they’re still
mid-migration, it was a little difficult.  He asked that I wait until
after the 20th of the month, and email him if still trouble with email
to or from any site at that point.  They expect the migration to be
complete around the 15th to the 18th (they keep having trouble causing
delays in the schedule...if you can imagine that!), and probably won’t
devote much time to issues like this until after all servers and major
customers are up and running on the new backbone.  He said that by the
20th, they should be ready to address mail filtering and any blacklist
problems.

I reached Robby at 800-XXX-XXXX.  His email address is [Elided]
@insightcom.com.  I asked for permission to provide you with his email
address, and he agreed.  I will also forward his email to you.

Sorry I don’t have something more successful to report.  :(