Interesting People mailing list archives

more on President claims supreme power over laws, military -- 750 'signing statement'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:47:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: May 10, 2006 4:44:08 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "Atkinson, Robert" <rca53 () columbia edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] President claims supreme power over laws, military -- 750 'signing statement'

On Wed, 10 May 2006 16:26:36 -0400, David Farber <dave () farber net> wrote:

Checks and balances are alive and well. The Supreme Court--not the
President and not Congress--decides what is or is not Constitutional.
The case books are full of Court decisions which find that Congress has
adopted un-Constitutional laws and the case books are equally full of
Court decisions finding that the Executive Branch has taken
administrative actions that are also found to be un-Constitutional.

Andrew Jackson once said, regarding a court ruling he didn't like, "John
Marshall has made his decision: now let him enforce it!"

I hope we have a better attitude today towards the rule of law.