Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Hayden's Mistaken Understanding of the Fourth

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 18:50:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic () well com>
Date: May 6, 2006 3:58:39 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Hayden's Mistaken Understanding of the Fourth

Gene Spafford writes:

I think it entirely possible that Hayden's response is being misinterpreted. As I read his comments to Jonathan Landay, I see him as saying that the 4th protects against unreasonable searches -- that probable cause only comes into play if the search is unreasonable. There is no need to show probable cause if the search is reasonable.

This is a misreading of the Fourth Amendment. Here's the text of the Fourth Amendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Basically, it provides two different prohibitions. First, searches must be reasonable. Second, and independently, there will be no warrants without a showing of probable cause, and the warrant must be particular in what it asks for.

A warrant cannot make an unreasonable search lawful.

Mike Godwin
mnemonic () well com