Interesting People mailing list archives

more on COMMENTS REQUESTED -- Apparent large telco liability based on USA Today facts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 06:56:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Simon Higgs <simon () higgs com>
Date: May 12, 2006 6:43:00 PM EDT
To: "Stewart, William C (Bill), RTSLS" <billstewart () att com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on COMMENTS REQUESTED -- Apparent large telco liability based on USA Today facts

Stewart,

Don't confuse the toll (billing) records with audio transcriptions of calls. NSA is collecting billing records just like a marketing company does (telcos have sold customer data for a long time). What makes this unusual is that NSA have access to the raw data, more or less in real time. Marketing companies buy rolled up data that is nominally sanitized except for all your personal information (exemption 4 - for telemarketing enforcement).

As to your question, telco clients consent to the collection of billing records for law enforcement purposes. Telcos consent to the collection of billing records by the government (NSA) for law enforcement purposes as exempted by the Stored Communications Act, Section 2703(c) (iii) below. Exempted from opting out = automatically opted in.

You have exactly the same deal when getting treatment from your HMO/ PPO doctor under HIPAA. You automatically opt in to law enforcement collection of your medical data.

Simon