Interesting People mailing list archives

more on COMMENTS REQUESTED -- Apparent large telco liability based on USA Today facts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:07:07 -0400

As most of you know, I am an EFF Board member. djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brad Templeton <btm () templetons com>
Date: May 12, 2006 4:03:09 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on COMMENTS REQUESTED -- Apparent large telco liability based on USA Today facts

Dave, I would point those asking to the EFF's lawsuit -- now several months old and having one of its first court hearings on Wednesday in San Francisco -- against
AT&T.

http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/att/

It was in fact, one of our primary allegations that they were data mining call records from AT&T's CDR databases. This is expressly prohibited under the law, and our complaint contains the details on the statutes violated and how we
allege they are violated.

When we began our case, we had material that had been leaked to the press, and a former AT&T employee who revealed activities he had seen take place in AT&T's San Francisco switching centers. Of course we ask for more information in discovery, though the federal government is attempting to intervene using the official secrets doctrine to block our lawsuit and discovery requests.

The USA Today story revealed a number of new things, including that other
phone companies were involved, that QWest was not, that they did not get
FISA warrants nor the required letter from the AG.  However, for us at
least, the data mining at AT&T was no shocking revalation. Check out our page and
the legal complaint for full details.