Interesting People mailing list archives

more on We all have to sacrifice, in the War on Terriers]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:24:15 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [IP] We all have to sacrifice, in the War on Terriers
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:18:08 -0500
From: Andrew Koenig <ark () acm org>
To: dave () farber net

Walter called television stations, the American Civil Liberties Union
and me. And he went on the Internet to see what he could learn. He
learned about changes in something called the Bank Privacy Act.

This is something new?  Shortly before I got married in 1998, my wife-to-be
and I bought wedding rings.  I forget why, but we had to pay for each ring
in a separate transaction.

That evening, we went out to dinner, and found the credit-card transaction
declined, because there had been suspicious transactions on that card
earlier in the day.  I had to give a whole bunch of personal information to
the people at the credit-card company before they would allow the charge.  I
don't know what we would have done if they hadn't been satisfied.

Which they might not have been.  I later heard about someone who was to be
best man at a friend's wedding.  He arranged a bachelor party at a
restaurant.  When the bill came, the charge was declined.  He spoke to the
credit-card company representative, who said "Sorry, but we won't authorize
a charge of that size at a restaurant, even though it's within your credit
limit.  It's too likely to be fraudulent."  Fortunately, someone else there
had a credit card that would authorize it, because there was nothing he
could do.

For a long time now, we've been moving toward a society where any unusual
behavior results in an investigation by the authorities.  9/11 may have
accelerated the process, but it sure didn't start it.