Interesting People mailing list archives

might this FINALLY be the first step to deterring off-shoring?!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:01:32 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: might this FINALLY be the first step to deterring off-shoring?!
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:30:17 -0800
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Many of us have snarled (or whined) about the off-shoring of American
jobs by "American" conglomerates.  ("Off-shoring" is more accurate
than the too-polite, intentionally-ambiguous "outsourcing"!)

At first, off-shoring "only" impacted low-income (i.e., politically
helpless) workers.  But as we all know, it's now rapidly and
increasingly impacting Americans in white-collar, professional,
engineering and technical positions.

Nothing so far, has slowed that outflow of jobs -- be they
poor-paying or good.  But, perhaps the following "threat" MIGHT soon
"encourage" some changes!

It's excerpted SPAM, captioned "Outsourcing of your Legal
Requirements."  Although they're offering back-room services for
lawyers, it seems like they could  equally be offering many up-front
legal services!

I mean ... geee ... why should the lawyers for those "American"
conglomerates (including most would-be politicians) be exempted from
the opportunity to face $15/hour competition ... so they, too, can
seek employment at a local McDonalds?

[Note the comment about "cutting your current costs to at least
one-eighth".  I.e., the back-room services they're offering are
presumably billed-out to American lawyers' clients at $120/hour or
more!]

--jim

At 7:31 PM +0530 03/01/2006, "Aggarwal, Dhiraj"