Interesting People mailing list archives

Patriot Act Includes Crackdown on Meth Use

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 12:25:17 -0500

ID to buy otc medicine!!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Patriot Act Includes Crackdown on Meth Use
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:59:10 -0500
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

...I'd love the day when you couldn't put stuff in a piece of legislation
that was unrelated to the thrust of the legislation itself.  But alas, how
would Washington operate otherwise?

So we tie a local crime item inside an already-controversial antiterrorism
bill.  Even if it's good-intentioned, I feel it's a bit sneaky to do it this
way....but that's the norm for Congress......rf

Patriot Act Includes Crackdown on Meth Use

By LAURIE KELLMAN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Suffer from springtime allergies? You could be among the
first affected by the USA Patriot Act poised for final congressional passage
this week.

Besides terrorism, the bill takes aim at the production of methamphetamine,
a highly addictive drug that cannot be manufactured without a key ingredient
of everyday cold and allergy medicines. The bill would impose new limits
next month for how much relief a person can buy over the counter.

And beginning Sept. 30, it'll take a flash of ID to buy that medication.

< snip >

http://tinyurl.com/obr9y