Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Why the future is in South Korea

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 05:57:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Udhay Shankar N <udhay () pobox com>
Date: June 11, 2006 12:13:05 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Why the future is in South Korea

At 01:00 AM 6/11/2006, David Farber wrote:

Fast-forward 11 years: Korea is now the most connected and Net-
addicted country on Earth. There are a few American companies who
have benefited from the South Korean broadband boom: Blizzard, for
example, makes a popular online game called Starcraft which is so
widely played in South Korea that two TV channels broadcast Starcraft
matches between professional players.

But the most popular services are homegrown.

This might also have something to do with the fact that (when I was in Seoul last) accessing the outside internet, while adequately fast, is nowhere near the multi-megabit speeds you can get from servers located in Korea. Trying to access a streaming multimedia service located outside Korea (yes, I tried) was not a very responsive experience.

Udhay