Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Who they are spying on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:51:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: h_bray () globe com
Date: June 9, 2006 4:35:24 PM EDT
To: Eric Rachner <eric () mostly harmless org>
Cc: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Who they are spying on

I'm tempted to pack it in. It appears that a substantial percentage of the members of this list quite sincerely believe that we're in no danger. In essence, they want the US government to do little or nothing about Islamist terrorism. And with those who think this way, there's really not much to
talk about.

For the rest, I thought it might help to focus on one controversial
intelligance tool--data mining.  I wanted to ask--to what extent should
cops and spies be permitted to mine databases in order to identify possible
bad guys?  Which databases should they be permitted to use?  Which
databases should be closed to them, if any?  Should they have access to
personally-identifiable information without a warrant?

Hiawatha Bray

             Eric Rachner
             <eric () mostly harm
less.org> To dave () farber net, h_bray () globe com 06/09/2006 04:30 cc
             PM                        ip () v2 listbox com
Subject
                                       Re: [IP] more on Who they are
                                       spying on

It just seems to me that the debate over this issue has mostly
consisted of hand-wringing about our loss of liberties. It's a
legitimate concern, but there's something else at stake too, and this
story reminds us what it is.

The trouble with this debate is that certain people keep trying to
re-frame it, quite disingenuously, as a question of liberty versus
security.

Baleful hints to the contrary, that "something else" which is at stake
here is not our security.  It is the integrity of a government whose
executive branch operates outside the law, exempt from any oversight by
the legislative or judicial.

- Eric

Begin forwarded message:

Begin forwarded message: