Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Who they are spying on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 20:08:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Perdriau <bobp () marketwriter com>
Date: June 8, 2006 7:58:17 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: more on Who they are spying on

Dave,

For IP if you wish.

Bob Perdriau
bobp () marketwriter com

The current administration has been selling the cool aid of fear and some folks have been drinking it. It is not a given that:

"No matter who you vote for, the problem isn't going away. So we'd better think seriously about the best ways to defend our country."

It is not unlikely that another administration - even a Republican one - will rescind all of Bush's law breaking and intrusive practices and still defend the country very well. This should, in fact, be a major issue in the 2008 election. Taken in total, the damage Bush has done to the country is massive and will take years to fix. (I mean everything, not just law breaking and spying on citizens.)

For some excellent views on security, wire tapping and Internet record storage there are a number of good technical, philosophical, and legal thinkers. A couple I have found worth reading are:

Bruce Schneier at:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/

See also his essay on "The Value of Privacy":

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/05/the_value_of_pr.html

and Glenn Greenwald at:

http://glenngreenwald.blogspot.com/

Also, read Glenn's new book "How Would A Patriot Act"

http://tinyurl.com/n35uy

Note: While you and I might consider this email to be a personal and private communication, you should be aware that its contents, and those of any reply, are liable to be scrutinized by the United States Government in an illegal wiretapping program authorized by President George W. Bush. I suggest you take care not to use inflammatory words or phrases, such as TERRORIST, REVOLUTION, AL QAEDA, ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALIST, IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE, NUCLEAR WEAPON, etc.