Interesting People mailing list archives

Voters disenfranchised in Los Angeles

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:23:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "r.t." <rickt () rickt org>
Date: June 7, 2006 12:20:00 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Voters disenfranchised in Los Angeles

Dave, just to add a little extra context to this post...

A number of my friends (6) were seemingly removed from the voter rolls in L.A. County, CA. They were unable to vote last night because of this. Election officials were rude and not helpful in the slightest. All 6 of my friends are politically active, and did vote in the previous two elections. All have not moved their primary residences since the last election (where they did receive information about the election via US mail prior to the previous elections -- while none of them did this time around), none of them are felons, and all always vote. It is my understanding that what happened to them is not lawful?

We also discovered that the www.LAVOTE.net website, which gives directions to polling stations (among other things) would not recognise *any* street address at all, and thus no polling station location or direction data was able to be found. The site did not error out at all, it simply just said nothing when addresses were input (I have screenshots of this). The site became usable and started outputting correct data some 3 hours after the polling stations had closed.

The "Report-A-Problem" telephone number was also busy throughout the evening, and when we were able to finally get through, the voice mailbox was full.

I leave it up to the fine readership of IP to draw their own conclusions, at least until someone finds out what happened.

Thanks,
Rick Tait, Los Angeles.