Interesting People mailing list archives

Senate Won't Question Telecoms About NSA Spying

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 03:11:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () well com>
Date: June 7, 2006 3:07:44 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: ghicks () cadence com
Subject: Senate Won't Question Telecoms About NSA Spying

Dave:

For IP if you desire.
-----------------------------
How very disappointing.

When Jack Cafferty said on CNN:

"We all hope nothing happens to Arlen Specter, the Republican head of
the Senate Judiciary Committee, cause he might be all that stands
between us and a full blown dictatorship in this country. He's vowed to
question these phone company executives about volunteering to provide
the government with my telephone records, and yours, and tens of
millions of other Americans."

[ref:
http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/2006/05/quote-of-day-3-jack-cafferty.html]

Tonight on CNN (in response to the news below), Jack called Specter
"another Republican worm" for going back on his word.

I couldn't agree more.

When Sen. Specter originally said that he would get to the bottom of
this issue, I thanked my lucky stars that there seemed to be some
integrity on Capitol Hill. Now, I'm sorely disappointed.

Anne Broache writes on C|Net News:

[snip]

A prominent Republican senator on Tuesday backed away from his pledge
to question executives from telecommunications companies that have
allegedly been cooperating with the government's secret wiretapping
program.

Arlen Specter said that after discussions with the Bush administration
and Senate Intelligence Committee colleagues who had been more fully
briefed on the National Security Agency program, he was "prepared to
defer on a temporary basis" requiring representatives from AT&T,
Verizon Communications and BellSouth to testify before the Senate
Judiciary Committee, which he leads.

[snip]

A sad state of affairs.

More here:
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6080646.html

Disgusted.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin