Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Under Recommendation Engines' Hood

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:23:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Drzyzgula <bob () drzyzgula org>
Date: June 16, 2006 10:11:36 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Under Recommendation Engines' Hood

Dave,

So I tried this last night. About to turn 50 in a few
months, I've been suffering from Mr. Fry's "familiar trap",
only advanced by a dozen years. If my initial experience
is any predictor, this service could turn out to be quite
expensive -- before the evening was over I had spent about
$80 on music from artists I'd never heard of before.

I put in the name of the last artist I'd listened to on
my iPod: Diana Krall. In addition to artists who were to
me more or less familiar -- Diane Schuur, Sarah Vaughan,
Dianne Reeves, Blossom Dearie -- Pandora played songs by
artists who were completely new to me, and in one case,
new to recording. It played nothing I hated, and a bunch
that I liked a lot.  Of those, I eventually paid money
(to Amazon, Amazon/CDNOW & emusic.com [1]) to populate my
iPod with stuff by Karrin Allyson, Tierney Sutton, Ilona
Knopfler, Jane Monheit, Patricia Barber, Sara Gazarek,
Nancy Lamott, and Marilyn Scott. I doubt that I would
ever have explored this material otherwise; there are,
for example, very few "similar artist" links among them
at allmusic.com, and some don't even have bios in their
listings there. This morning I listened to several songs by
Gazarek & Allyson I'd gotten as emusic.com album downloads.
I wasn't disappointed.

In my opinion, this is exactly the kind of technology the
recording should be promoting to drive sales.

--Bob Drzyzgula

[1] Big plug here for emusic.com. I'd always thought that
they only carried stuff from the most obscure artists,
but recently took a close look and found that there's
quite a bit of mainstream stuff there as well. As they are
managing to sell, with cooperation from the publishers,
DRM-free music for as little as 25 cents per song, I'd
encourage everyone else to take a look as well. We need
their model to be successful.