Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Initial experience with Win XP VM with Parallels Desktop for [Intel] Mac

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:51:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: July 11, 2006 10:34:09 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: "'Steve Goldstein'" <steve.goldstein () cox net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Initial experience with Win XP VM with Parallels Desktop for [Intel] Mac

One more reminder of why we need to get rid of USB (http:// www.frankston.com/?Name=SATNUSBNO) – it’s not an end-to-end architecture – the drivers need to be too smart. If the devices were simply network devices it be easy to connect with (not just to) them whether in a VM or an RM. You could even choose to make the devices available to others’ on your network such as sharing printers and scanners.

For that matter, why are phones connected via wires and/or IR? There’s something strange about using IR to beam a message form one from one phone to another when they both have radios and can simply send a message to each other via the network. It shouldn’t take too much software to use SMS as a messaging transport in place of IR. But once we start simplifying things by taking advantage of IP networks it becomes too easy to do things on your own and that threatens those who seek control be it a carrier, Microsoft or that company that wants to lock you into iPods.