Interesting People mailing list archives

only IP would know

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:39:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jim O'Donnell" <cassiodorus () gmail com>
Date: July 11, 2006 8:32:57 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: only IP would know

Dave, even Google isn't getting me this one.  I'll bet a quarter
somebody on IP can provide guidance.

Question:  how large is the religion industry in the United States?
(1) How many employees?  (2) How much revenue?   Not just churches and
tax-exempt organizations, if possible, but also the wide range of
commercial organizations that serve that sector, including publishers,
candle manufacturers, and the like.  I'm not sure whether I would like
to include cemeteries, mortuaries, and the like, but I'd certainly
like to include religious-run medical facilities, nursing homes, etc.,
and of course religious-associated educational institutions.  This has
to be a question somebody has answered, but the focus of our public
reporting of data is so heavily on the private sector that it's at
least elusive.

Jim O'Donnell