Interesting People mailing list archives

more on What's in that bottle ?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:37:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Date: July 19, 2006 5:02:59 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on What's in that bottle ?

A "security conscious" friend of mine has just told me about recent incidents in rural upstate New Hampshire where people are being detained at roadblocks for hours. Apparently there have also been a rash of increased cases of false ID at the border.

Does this kind of crap -- and the "Border" Patrol's PERMANENT highway bottle-necks, HUNDREDS of miles INSIDE the USA in the southwest -- cause anyone else, other'n me, to flash-back to all those World War II movies, about the American prisoners escaping, and fearfully approaching all the SS and Gestapo check-points, along roads and at rail stations?

Same for the machinegun-toting police- and military-uniformed patrols that are now so common in airport terminals. As though anyone actually BELIEVED that vile terrorists would attempt an armed frontal assault to take a commercial plane off the tarmac. [Remember that the 9/11 terrorists hadn't even trained in the much more difficult task of taking-off or landing.]

With all this, plus a President who declares that he will unilaterally decide which laws he will abide by, and which ones he will feel free to ignore ... how close HAVE we come, to being just another authoritarian dictatorship, much too similar to the one where the roadblock and railway and airport guards were called SS and Gestapo?

How much of our freedoms -- and presumption of innocence -- must we loose, before it becomes clear that Bin Laden is WINNING in his efforts to destroy the USA as we once knew it?

--jim