Interesting People mailing list archives

Michael Berube on threats to academic freedom

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:53:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Liz Ditz <ponytrax () batnet com>
Date: January 30, 2006 6:37:04 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: for IP if you wish: Michael Berube on threats to academic freedom

For IP if you wish:

http://www.michaelberube.com/index.php/weblog/academic_freedom/

Michael Berube:
Tthe title of today’s presentation, “Recent Attacks on Academic Freedom: What’s Going On?” can be answered in a single sentence. Academic freedom is under attack for pretty much the same reasons that liberalism itself is under attack. American campuses tend to be somewhat left of center of the American mainstream, particularly with regard to cultural issues that have to do with gender roles and sexuality: the combination of a largely liberal, secular professoriat and a generally under-25 student body tends to give you a local population that, by and large, does not see gay marriage as a serious threat to the Republic. And after 9/11—again, for obvious reasons— many forms of mainstream liberalism have been denounced as anti- American. There is, as you know, a cottage industry of popular right- wing books in which liberalism is equated with treason (that would be Ann Coulter), with mental disorders (Michael Savage), and with fascism (Jonah Goldberg). Coulter’s book also mounts a vigorous defense of Joe McCarthy, and Michelle Malkin has written a book defending the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War Two. In that kind of climate, it should come as no surprise that we would be seeing attacks on one of the few remaining institutions in American life that is often—though not completely—dominated by liberals.

[snip]

Not all college professors are liberals, and attacks on academic freedom are dangerous partly because, in some instances, they can undermine the intellectual autonomy of conservative professors. And I don’t believe that this is the same old same old, either. What we’re seeing today is actually unprecedented, for two reasons. One is demographic: college professors have, in the aggregate, become more liberal over the past thirty-five years—though, as I’ll explain later on, most of the studies that have been done on this subject in the past three years are exercises in cooking the data. The other is strategic: for the first time in American history, there is an organized, national campaign to undermine academic freedom by appealing to the ideal of . . . academic freedom. And the reason it’s enjoyed such success in recent years is that so few people— faculty, students, and state legislators included—seem to have a good grasp of what academic freedom really means.

the rest at

http://www.michaelberube.com/index.php/weblog/academic_freedom/

Liz Ditz
ponytrax () batnet com

blog: http://lizditz.typepad.com

Success: fall down seven times, stand up eight.