Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The Slipperiest of Slopes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:44:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: steven cherry <steven () panix com>
Date: January 29, 2006 9:24:40 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ken Kousky <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on The Slipperiest of Slopes

From: Ken Kousky <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: January 26, 2006 10:21:39 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

Mark, my point is that it is frightening to see the WSJ editorials freely
call radical environmentalists terrorists.

Even if they are breaking laws and destroying property, at a time when the White House suggests that the President has executive authority to do, well, whatever is necessary to save us from terrorists, I don't think that my own
rhetoric approaches that of the Journals editorial.

Does the president have exceptional powers to defend us against terrorists? If yes, is their a working operational definition of what constitutes a
terrorist derived separately or outside our legal system?

As it turns out, there does seem to be a working operational definition of eco-terrorism:

<http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress02/jarboe021202.htm>
"The FBI defines eco-terrorism as the use or threatened use of violence of a criminal nature against innocent victims or property by an environmentally-oriented, subnational group for environmental- political reasons, or aimed at an audience beyond the target, often of a symbolic nature."

So the definition might be over-broad, as Mr Kousky fears, but there certainly is one. That page, which consists of some 2002 Congressional testimony by an FBI section chief, also details some examples of past events the FBI considers to be criminal acts of eco- terrorism.

I do think it's a legitimate question to ask whether Congress, when it grants the government additional powers to fight terrorism, has in mind attacks on mink farms or logging equipment, and whether that's what voters have in mind when they support or oppose candidates in Congressional races.

 Steven

--
   Steven Cherry, +1 212-419-7566
   Senior Associate Editor