Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Congressional staffers make more than 1,000 changes to Wikipedia

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:43:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Art Wolinsky <awolinsky () oii org>
Date: January 29, 2006 11:42:46 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Congressional staffers make more than 1,000 changes to Wikipedia

You have to love the way the Internet works...

I passed the message on to my son-in-law and he wrote back that he just checked Meehan's entry and found that it had been changed back to this:

Meehan was elected to the United States House in 1992 on a plan to eliminate the budget deficit and instate term limits, calling for members of Congress to serve no more than four terms. Meehan took a pledge that he would abide by the limit himself but reneged with his campaign for a fifth term in 2000, to which he was elected. This can be compared to senator Paul Wellstone, who, before his death, started a campaign for a third term, breaking a similar pledge. In 2004, Meehan was re-elected for his seventh term, again by a wide margin. He is currently a member of the house armed services committee and the house judiciary committee.

and even better, there was an entry under Wikipedia vandalism that read:

In January 2006, Matt Vogel, Meehan's chief of staff, admitted to authorizing a replacement article on Meehan published on Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia, with an approved and sanitized staff-written biography [1] [2]. This ran afoul of internal Wikipedia guidelines [3], and government ethics' rules on the use of employee time.

The changes endorsed by Meehan's Chief of Staff included removing mentions of the campaign money controversy involving Meehan, and Meehan's broken term-limit promise.

I can't help but think about the Arlo Guthrie joke of two rabbits that get chased into a hollow log by a pack of dogs. One rabbit says to the other, "Well it looks like this is the end of the line for us."

The other one just smiles and says, "Nah. We'll just stay here till we out number them."

I think Wikipedians can change entries back a lot faster than staffers can change them!

Art

 Art Wolinsky
 OII Technology Director      http://oii.org
 awolinsky () oii org             (609) 597-9481 ext 337
I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
I will surely learn a great deal today.