Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Does Google retain logs of personally identifiable search data?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:52:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ray Everett-Church <ray () everett org>
Date: January 27, 2006 12:31:50 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip20398470293845 () aquick org
Subject: RE: [IP] Does Google retain logs of personally identifiable search data?

All of the analysis I've read has seemed to start from the assumption
that they >do< keep these logs, based on the fact that they
could<. Is there any definitive evidence that you know of that they
do, or is this just speculation?

When Google launched "My Search History" in April 2005, Google's VP of
Engineering, Alan Eustace told InternetWeek:

With 'My Search,' however, information stored internally with Google is no different than the search data gathered through its Google.com search engine, Eustace said. "This product itself does not have a significant impact on the information that is available to legitimate law enforcement agencies doing their
job."

As I asked in a blog posting at that time:

Is he really saying that Google already captures and stores search data tied to unique users? Unfortunately, Google's privacy policy is pretty vague on the issue. ... Eustace may have misspoken... but really he didn't. According to the "My Search History (Beta) - Privacy FAQ," you may feel free to edit the logs,
but Google is still keeping copies of the unedited searches.

So there you have it: a comprehensive log of your searches tied to your
identity, available to law enforcement bearing warrants and litigious people bearing civil subpoenas. Signing up for the service simply provides them an easier way to wrap the data into a tidy duces tecum package! So, in other words,
you are already using My Search History, and you didn't even know it!

My full blog posting is at: http://www.privacyclue.com/index.php?p=68

Regards,
-Ray