Interesting People mailing list archives

more on STUPID STUPID High-Def Forced To Down-Convert

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:32:29 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () andrew cmu edu>
Date: January 25, 2006 5:19:56 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on STUPID STUPID High-Def Forced To Down-Convert

Dave,

If one accepts Mark's arguments below, I think a fundamental question becomes one about owning vs. renting bits (information, content, media, software, etc.)

Most consumers want to be able to record a TV show. And then watch it later, in pristine quality. Can or should the network determine if we can do that? Same goes with a song. Am I buying the rights to listen to a particular album in whatever format I want, or only ability to playback a particular version a company sells, perhaps on only specific hardware?

Naturally, just because we've done something one way in the past doesn't mean it will continue. On the other hand, with the right framing and legal support (wishful thinking!), we can try and ensure we are allowed to continue what we think we should be able to do...

Also, how does (or doesn't) this change as we cross intl. boundaries? Do we expect all manufacturers to comply?

Rahul