Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Anti-terrorism software that balances privacy and security?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:30:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 25, 2006 5:40:30 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Anti-terrorism software that balances privacy and security?

Dave,

Reduced to its essentials, here is what I believe is the fundamental
question in this regard (irrespective of the apparently misleading
aspects of the UCLA press release).  Is it in the interests of
society to provide the powers-that-be with mass surveillance
algorithms and/or tools that are relatively easy and inexpensive to
deploy and use -- especially when all control and oversight is in
the hands of the same or affiliated entities?

My view is that the presence of considerable cost and other
"friction" in such surveillance systems are crucial elements that
help reduce (but are certainly not sufficient to eliminate) abuse of
such capabilities and associated tradecraft.

When we start to hear talk of highly-efficient surveillance tools
designed to be widely deployed, alarm bells should start ringing.
Some persons might applaud such systems in the hands of those that
they trust, but we must assume that in the future such capabilities
-- particularly if embedded within technological infrastructures and
widely used systems -- may take their orders from authorities
potentially ranging from irresponsible to genuinely evil.

Too much efficiency in surveillance technology greatly increases the
risks of abuse.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

moraal; NEVER let PR folk at research papers or at least read the
damn PE before you approve the relase.

Dave

Begin forwarded message: