Interesting People mailing list archives

DHS and White House *did* anticipate the breach of the levees

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:39:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Serge Egelman <egelman () cs cmu edu>
Date: January 24, 2006 10:58:47 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: DHS and White House *did* anticipate the breach of the levees

For IP if you wish:

In today's NYT, there's an article (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/ national/nationalspecial/24katrina.html) covering the upcoming release of Katrina-related documents coming from the Senate investigation. As Salon so aptly says (http://www.salon.com/politics/ war_room/2006/01/24/katrina/index.html):

"On Sept. 1, 2005, as much of New Orleans sat under water, George W. Bush appeared on Good Morning America to defend his administration's flat-footed response to Hurricane Katrina. "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees," he said. We knew then that it wasn't true -- experts had warned for years that the city's levees would stand no chance against a large storm -- but we didn't know whether that knowledge had been delivered to the White House. Now we do. As the New York Times reports today, the Homeland Security Department warned the White House at 1:47 a.m. on Aug. 29 -- which is to say, hours before Katrina struck New Orleans -- that "any storm rated Category 4 or greater will likely lead to severe flooding and/or levee breaching.""

serge