Interesting People mailing list archives

Government searching of searches

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:29:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Art Wolinsky <awolinsky () oii org>
Date: January 24, 2006 12:31:28 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Government searching of searches

About a month or so ago, someone on IP wrote about the search tool, Watson. I downloaded it and have been using it quite a bit. A few minutes ago I was working on research for the creation of Child Safety curriculum for WiredSafety.org. I opened a Word document that contained the text of Parry Aftab's next book. Immediately, Watson went to work. As I began exploring the results, each click resulted in new searches being done automatically by Watson.

As I was doing this I couldn't help but think of the governments request for Google searches. Since Watson searches Google, the searches done automatically by the software would become part of the search phrase database at Google. Watson is generating searches quicker than I could and with terms I might never use, yet they are being attributed to me.

Anyone gaining access to that data without my personal information would be getting searches that were not generated by a human, which would obviously not be valid for proving any point about what people were searching for and retrieving. Anyone getting that data with my personal information attached would getting searches attributed to me that I actually never made. Considering the topics of child pornography, Internet predators, hacking, and similar subjects, the conclusions about me based on these searches could be entirely off base.

The fact that this could happen is a bit disconcerting, but the fact that I have to be worried about it happening is a sad commentary on the state of our society and the government's intrusion in our lives.

Art

Art Wolinsky
OEO 3DWriting, Inc.
awolinsky () 3dwriting com
http://www.3dwriting.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
I will surely learn a great deal today.