Interesting People mailing list archives

more on good advice Windows Wireless Flaw a Danger to Laptops

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 06:40:11 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christian Huitema <huitema () windows microsoft com>
Date: January 15, 2006 8:32:16 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Windows Wireless Flaw a Danger to Laptops

The article is somewhat imprecise. It mentions Windows 2000 and Windows
XP as if the wireless support was identical, but Microsoft does not
provide a "wireless autoconfiguration" service for Windows 2000. On this
system, the wireless configuration is typically managed by third party
client, often provided by the maker of the wireless card. Even on
Windows XP, the original Microsoft software is often replaced by a third
party client provided by the make of the wireless card, or the maker of
the computer, or in some case a wireless service provider. The behavior
of these clients is quite diverse.

The rules for managing wireless configuration in Windows XP were
tightened a lot by the successive service packs. The paper presents the
danger of a specific behavior, in which the wireless client remembers
the name of the last network to which it was connected, and then
broadcast an invitation to join an ad hoc network of the same name. That
behavior is not present in Windows XP SP2. Also, the wireless software
distinguishes between "infrastructure" networks, and "ad hoc" or
"computer to computer" network. The attack in a plane reported in the
article just does not work if you have installed XP/SP2 and are using
the Microsoft client.

That being said, it is fairly easy to trick computers into connecting to
various wireless networks. Take the example of a computer configured to
connect to "starbucks". It will automatically establish a connection
every time you enter a Starbucks establishment, which is the expected
behavior. But a hacker sets up a "pirate" access point and names it
"starbucks", the computer will also automatically connect. Computers
have not yet learned how to smell the coffee...

If you are carrying a Windows laptop and connecting to multiple wireless
services, you should really be using XP/SP2, and you should definitely
enable the firewall!

-- Christian Huitema