Interesting People mailing list archives

more on i Bush explains Medicare

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:15:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Wiggins <richard.wiggins () gmail com>
Date: January 14, 2006 10:40:48 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: i-p () umich edu, inventor () rentaninventor com
Subject: Re: [IP] i Bush explains Medicare

Dave,

The quoted Bush remarks did not concern Medicare. According to the Web site of Congressman Jim McDermott of Washington, Bush was speaking about his plan to privatize Social Security:

http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/sp050413.shtml

A number of experts have in fact proposed that the cost of living increases for Social Security be tied to wages insted of inflation. That has nothing to do with the Medicare drug bill -- although that program is at least as bewildering as Bush's remarks.

/rich

PS -- Garry Trudeau quoted Bush's words in Doonesbury, and Congressman McDermott read the cited words into the Congressional Record. http://recap.fednet.net/archive/Buildasx.asp? sProxy=80_hflr041205_019.wmv&sTime=00:03:16.0&eTime=00:04:39&duration=00 :01:23.0&UserName=repmcdewa&sLocation=&sExpire=1