Interesting People mailing list archives

Doctoring the past - Wiki style

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:35:14 -0500

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Doctoring the past - Wiki style
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:36:56 +0000
From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>
To: dave () farber net

Dave:

The front page of today's (UK) Guardian has an article on Wikipedia
that is to my mind not only well-balanced and accurate, but also
funny - this last quality not usually being found in their front page
articles.

cheers

Brian

===

Doctoring the past - Wiki style

Patrick Barkham
Friday February 10, 2006
The Guardian

We are all Alastair Campbells now. Spin doctors' antennae whirred
around this week when the volunteers who run Wikipedia discovered
that staff of US senators and congressmen had been busy burnishing
their bosses' entries in the internet encyclopedia.

Millions of people turn to the reference site to look up facts - and
change them. The non-profit making project to build an internet
encyclopedia is the 19th most-visited site in the world. Three per
cent of all webpages visited are Wikipedia pages. Its guiding, and
democratic, principle: anyone can anonymously edit it. Increasingly,
it seems, politicians and their staff are among the most dedicated
editors.

Patrolling the 962,652 entries in the English Wiki - more than
double the number a year ago - its idealistic volunteers found other
examples of "politically motivated editing" emanating from
Washington. In one case, an intern for Democratic representative
Marty Meehan deleted a reference to his broken promise to only serve
four terms. In another, the office of Senator Norm Coleman deleted
an unflattering reference to voting with President George Bush 98%
of the time in 2003, despite running as a moderate the year before.
Wikipedia took draconian action: all computers connected to servers
at the House of Representatives were temporarily denied access to
the site.

Computers linked to Canada's House of Commons and the German
Bundestag also fiddled with entries, according to Wikipedia. But
Jimmy Wales, the Florida-based founder who was embarrassingly
exposed for tweaking his own entry, said no suspicious activity had
yet been recorded on the computers of Westminster and Whitehall.

Why do our slow-witted special advisers twiddle their thumbs while
websavvy idealists write their bosses' biographies? The Guardian
could help. I bring up Tony Blair's entry. It appears a perfect
example of a Wiki entry: accurate, informative, well-sourced and
neutral in tone. But every choice of fact is a subjective act. And
there's one our Tone wouldn't like: "Euan Blair received widespread
publicity after police found him 'drunk and incapable'." C'mon guys,
the kids are off limits. Snip. I cut it out.

"While the Blairs have stated that they wish to shield their
children from the media, they have not always been able, or willing
... " Hang on, "willing"? What does that imply? Cut. Save. Refresh
page. Tony's Wiki entry is now a lot shinier.

Time to buff up the Guardian. The stereotypical Guardian reader is,
Wikipedia explains, a lentil-munching, sandal-wearing lefty. "Like
most stereotypes, to some extent this one is both inaccurate and
outdated." Let's get rid of "to some extent", eh?

I add some positive spin about our rising circulation. Hang on,
there is someone missing from the list of "notable regular
contributors (past and present)". Ian Aitken, Julian Borger, Emma
Brockes: excellent, excellent. But no "Patrick Barkham". I slip the
name in. It looks nice, if suspiciously anomalous.

Ah, the sweet power of the spin doctor (tempered by the growing
anxiety that a volunteer will hunt me down and attack me with worms
or bots or turn my Mac into a zombie computer). Wikipedia records
the internet protocol address of the computer on which every edit
occurs. They could easily trace my edits to the Guardian. Its
volunteers cleverly trapped the US spinners by sending emails to
their offices. When they received replies, they found the IP
addresses contained in the emails matched those of the dodgy editors.

Time to phone Wikipedia. Does the furore over the politicians
gilding their own lilies undermine its credibility? "It's more
damaging to the persons involved," says Mr Wales. "We were able to
catch these bad edits very quickly and good edits were incorporated
very quickly."

The site is still smarting from bad publicity about the biography of
the US journalist John Seigenthaler, which incorrectly linked him to
the Kennedy assassinations. The libellous allegations were not
spotted for months before they were removed, leading to criticism
about its reliability.

Mr Wales says the "whitewashing" editors from Washington are treated
"just like editors from a grammar school. If they behave themselves,
that's fine. If not, they get blocked."

What does Wikipedia rule on people adding gloss to their own
entries? "It's not absolutely forbidden to edit an article you're
involved in but it's not considered good practice," says a UK
spokesman, David Gerard.

Marty Meehan recanted. "It was a waste of energy and an error in
judgment on the part of my staff to have allowed any time to be
spent on updating my Wikipedia entry," he said.

And so must I. Shamed by my crass attempts to subvert the democratic
goal of a free encyclopedia on the internet, I return and remove my
"bad edits" to leave the pages just as they were. Will the world's
spin doctors suffer similar pangs of conscience?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1706597,00.html

- --
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk   PHONE = +44 191 222 7923
FAX = +44 191 222 8232  URL = http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~brian.randell/