Interesting People mailing list archives

Bush asks for more visas for high-tech workers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 06:56:57 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: "Claudio Gutiérrez" <claudio.gutierrez.m () gmail com>
To: dave () farber net
Sent: 2/2/06 16:00
Subject: Bush asks for more visas for high-tech workers

Bush asks for more visas for high-tech workers
By Rebecca Knight
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/1b8f185c-942f-11da-82ea-0000779e2340.html

President George W. Bush, who is touring the country as part of a
weeks-long campaign to promote his 2006 agenda, called on Congress
yesterday to raise the number of visas that allow companies to fill
high-tech jobs with foreign workers.

“The problem is. . . that Congress has limited the number of H-1B
visas,” Mr Bush said, referring to the name of the official passport
endorsement. “I think it’s a mistake not to encourage more really bright
folks who can fill the jobs that are having trouble being filled in
America, to limit their number.  So I call upon Congress to be realistic
and reasonable to raise that cap.”
<snip>

“It’s clear we don’t have enough workers with