Interesting People mailing list archives

DO READ Google to consumers: Better you than us from Vint Cerf

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:32:13 -0500

*from: SiliconValley.com - Good Morning Silicon Valley

*

*Google to consumers: Better you than us:* That Google's got a solution for everything, doesn't it? During a U.S. Senate Commerce Committee hearing on Internet neutrality Tuesday <http://esp.realcities.com/a/hBD6j2NAPnpi4APtV1IABs184.APnpm9Dq/gmsv9>, Vint Cerf, Google's chief Internet evangelist, suggested incumbent telecoms, who would like to charge big Net companies a premium price for premium delivery, look to their own customers to recoup the costs of bandwidth-taxing Internet services, not the companies who provide them (see " 'Course what we'd really like to do is 'prioritize' some of these services right out of business ... <http://esp.realcities.com/a/hBD6j2NAPnpi4APtV1IABs184.APnpm9Dq/gmsv10>"). "The broadband carriers already are fully compensated by their residential customers for their use of the network," Cerf said in a prepared statement (PDF) http://commerce.senate.gov/pdf/cerf-020706.pdf <http://esp.realcities.com/a/hBD6j2NAPnpi4APtV1IABs184.APnpm9Dq/gmsv11>. "These companies can charge their own customers whatever they want, in order to make back their investments. Trying to extract additional fees from Web-based companies -- who are not in any way 'customers' of the provider -- would constitute a form of 'double recovery.' Google takes no issue with the broadband carriers' ability to set prices for Internet access that compensate for the costs and risks associated with their network investments." So Google and its confederates would have the telcos pass the cost of high-quality broadband services on to the consumer. And why not? We already coughed up $2000 per household for a fiber optic service we never received, why not a few dollars more more for enhanced broadband (see "We thought you said spend the $200 billion on "dark fiber" <http://esp.realcities.com/a/hBD6j2NAPnpi4APtV1IABs184.APnpm9Dq/gmsv12>"). /Comment on this post <http://esp.realcities.com/a/hBD6j2NAPnpi4APtV1IABs184.APnpm9Dq/gmsv13>/