Interesting People mailing list archives

Which is the bigger threat?]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:35:19 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [IP] Which is the bigger threat?
Date:   Mon, 06 Feb 2006 09:22:37 -0800
From:   Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
To:     dave () farber net, spaf () cerias purdue edu

At 06:32 AM 2/6/2006, Gene Spafford wrote:
What is "right" is very specific to each culture/country, and
sometimes to a political party or ethnic group.   How do we all reach
common ground to say when it is appropriate to restrict dissemination
of information -- if it ever is?

Note, I'm not asking about the "right to free speech" which is
actually a legal right, but only in some places.   I am asking about
"right" in the ethical sense, as in it is the right thing to do, and
to do otherwise is not right.

I think one needs to recognize the special case of religion, where, allegedly, there is an external imposition of "right." (Recognize, but not necessarily ascribe to.) If mystical incendiary shrubbery advised me that I should slay any infidels who attempted to depict His/Her/Its image, and I believed the consequence of failing to abide by that charge was eternal damnation, well, watch out infidels!

But those of us who are secular humanists and the like reject the idea that we've got that to deal with.

I think I'd go along with Stephen Hopkins, Continental Congressional delegate from Rhode Island, as depicted in "1776" (which I heartily recommend in these politicized times): "Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything."

And I think that ought to extend to whether or not the President of the United States ought to have tyranical powers to surveil citizens in secret... let's watch closely to see how much of the *debate* is even allowed to be open to our scrutiny.

It's the prerogative of governments to control how much and what information they actively provide, perhaps, as much as I dislike the propagandizing and spinning I see in mine now (e.g., in promotion of abstinence-only education and suppression of information on other forms of birth control), subject to the laws they've passed (e.g., against covert domestic political propaganda) and understanding that the lot of them can be voted out of office for their behavior, if we're not happy. In China, with its current government, it's government that elects how to deal with foreign information service providers like Google, and the China deal with Google is "right," in some sense (the bigger problem being what means citizens have to change their government, and hence policies). On the other hand, there's no way the Chinese government can control the creation of content outside its borders, and fewer means every year to prevent that from leaking in, whatever arrangement they may be able to dictate to Google.

Ross

----
Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D.
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.