Interesting People mailing list archives

mo FL Cops intimidate those who ask for complaint forms...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:27:50 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [IP] FL Cops intimidate those who ask for complaint forms...]
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:04:30 -0500
From: Zach Sparer <zsparer () comcast net>
To: 'Brian McWilliams' <brianmcw () comcast net>
CC: dave () farber net

Brian,
Thanks very much for the link.  I'll be sure to sift through what
information is available.  After watching the video a few more times, I
wonder why there are not federal or state standards for complaint reports.
(It's possible there are state laws in some places that I am not aware of --
this is a new topic for me.)

The fact that alleged victims of abuse are forced (in some cases) to speak
with an agent of the alleged abuser seems straightforwardly
counter-intuitive.  The officer who suggested that some complaints are
"worthy" and others are not particularly concerned me.  "Your civil rights
were not violated.  Nothing to see here.  Please return to your home."

Not everyone runs directly to a lawyer, and it seems strange to me that
police departments would create any sort of barriers between a concerned
citizen and the PD.  I imagine they'd be much worse off if "complainers"
contacted a lawyer straight-away -- at least in the most egregious cases.
Even in the "non-critical" situations (e.g., an officer is rude at a traffic
stop), it seems that the information would be valuable from a PR/training
standpoint.  Creating walls protects neither the public nor the PD's
interest.

It might be a "pain" or embarrassing for officers to deal with complaints,
but -- and I hate the cliché that I'm about to use -- but they need to
remember who pays their heating bills.

-Zach