Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Verizon Fiber Optics Installation]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:46:27 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [IP] Verizon Fiber Optics Installation
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:23:46 -0500
From: Fred C. Smith III <fcsmith3 () optonline net>
To: dave () farber net

We had Verizon landlines for both dial-up service and voice.  Our
problem was that the cables buried in our street were starting to
deteriorate and we had many lengthy service outages.  Verizon would not
spend the money to replace the failing copper.  Instead, they kept
falling back on the concept that Fiber Optic was "coming."  We knew we
had to do something.

We finally gave in and investigated Verizon Fiber Optic here on Long
Island.  Astonishingly, they could not tell us when it would be
installed in our neighborhood ... not even narrowing it down to what
year they expected to do it!  They apparently have no schedule in place.
 All of their service vans now tout the Fiber Optic product, but they
cannot deliver it any time soon.

We then asked about Verizon DSL.  It was not available in our
neighborhood.  Our lines would not support it.  Surprise!

Our solution was to drop our Verizon landlines entirely and switch our
computer service to a 15 mbps (2 mbps upload) broadband system offered
by our local cable company (Cablevision.)  For voice, we now rely
entirely on our two cell phones.

We, too, will lose our broadband connection in the event of a power
outage.  The chances of losing our cell service during same are small,
unless it is an entire regional grid failure.  In the big Northeast
blackout several years ago, we lost our cells for about four hours.  Our
main power was out for a day.

Our broadband speed has entirely lived up to the advertised claims (15/2).

Verizon continues to shoot itself in the foot, both with its lack of
disclosure of annoying details and its propensity for pushing products
that it is unable to deliver.

Fred Smith
Long Island, NY