Interesting People mailing list archives

more on DO READ Biowar for Dummies]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:51:38 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Biowar for Dummies
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:54:35 -0800
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Dave Hughes.  DLH]
From: "Dave Hughes" <history () oldcolo com>
Date: February 23, 2006 10:41:08 AM PST
To: <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] re: Biowar for Dummies

If Ted Kircher had not added the reference  '.and citizens' to his
insightful comments re: Biowar ("When will the  U.S. (government
and citizens) understand.") I would not bother to compose this
post. For it has been the simplistic knee-jerk reaction of citizens
from both the left and the right, over what the 'government', has
been doing since 9/11 that has preempted deep enough debate on the
real long term issues of US national security.

Ted makes three points: that ('military?)  'bullying' won't work,
development of a middle class in the third world will, and that we
haven't begun to see what 'biowar' and other means can do to us.
Up to a point he has it right.

But as Yogi Berra would say its 'De Ja Vue all over again.'

Ted is articulating now what some of us understood clearly, and
articulated to and through a Democratic Administration  40 years
ago during the Vietnam War, but which advice went over the heads of
'citizens' then, as I am afraid Ted's sophisticated analysis can
now. The parallels between 1966 and 2006 are quite exact, right
down what both leftist Democrat dove McNamara and rightest
Republican neocon Wolfowitz did for their mea culpa after helping
lose their wars by leaving to run the World Bank! Which in its
clumsy way contributes to 'developing a middle class' in foreign
countries.

I invite you to read the major policy speech I wrote for Defense
Secretary McNamara in 1966 - as his 'Assistant for
Counterinsurgency' where he - based on what a small handful of we
uniformed Army officers had studied about the coming nature of our
'future' wars and what we recommended our American, not just
military policies for preventing and dealing with them should be
based upon. A long term strategic American national security
policy, not just a short term tactical military view.  Its
distilled in that speech. We soldiers knew Clausewitz was dying, if
not dead. And Nuclear deterrence only deterred nuclear war. Neither
did much for the coming age of terrorism or guerilla wars.

<http://www.oldcolo.com/McNamara/mcnamara.html>

The e=mc2 for the US prevailing in future wars, particularly those
involving the 3d World,  that was embedded in his speech was - and
still is, for Western governments -

                            Security is Development

Not 'just' military force (though Kircher is wrong that such wars
are 'unwinnable' or that somehow 'military force' is just for
bullying. Military force alone cannot 'win' over modern
insurgencies, but its absence in the face of violent insurgencies,
can sure lose them.  In fact I shook up USAID after that speech
when I informed them that pouring ham-handed US Foreign Aid into
underdeveloped countries as often as not precipitates civil wars,
as often as it does help prevent them.  Nigeria anyone? The battle
to create a 'middle class' is often extremely violent. Which simply
can't be ignored. Decades of development can be ruined by days of
violence. Force has to be met by force. From police to counter-
Iranian missle shots.

I'll bet few on this list ever wondered how backward, suppressed
(by Japan), South Korea ever emerged to become the economic power
it is. One major factor was the massive 'technology transfer' from
the US Military through the S Korean military over years of war,
that 'modernized' the work force of a small nation. Laid down the
prerequisite for investment. And thus a middle class. I know how
economically primitive they were before 1950. I was there. 55 years
ago.

But we also saw, 40 years ago the 'miniaturization' of technology
coming. Stinger missiles any half-instructed peasant could fire,
shaped charges designed to kill Soviet tanks, now RPGs fired by
teenagers against American soldiers - and civilians - modern
explosives, now suicide bomber belts. And of course, satellite
linked cam corders, used by Media to tell all, how the US is losing
the war, and personal computers, now driving 1,000 Al Quaeda
jihaddist web sites. And Biowar agents) We pointed out that
advances in technology for waging war favors the rebel more than
its government. (sorry Air Force) As Kircher points out, we haven't
seen nuthin yet.

BUT where he and I part company - or perhaps he just hasn't thought
it through enough, is on how you get from here to there. Rumsfeld
refused to listen to quite qualified military professionals, many
of whom know a hell of a lot more how to 'nation build' in the
midst of violence, and what the winning mix must be between
military Civil Affairs, Special Forces, NSA intercepts,  Combat
Infantry units, diplomacy, and the Corps of Engineers, than
Halliburton or Bremmer ever will. It is on the very difficult issue
of 'how' does the US foster, among about 5 of the 6 billion restive
people on this planet, with their sectarian, (Sunnis, Shia)
territorial (Kurds, Basques), religious (Palestinian, Israel) 'a
fat dumb and happy middle class' - while dealing with ever more
dangerous  'wars',  insurgent, civil, or cross border ones which
inevitably ensue?

Modernization is a much more violent process than Americans will
ever admit. Or, unfortunately, have the patience to see through in
this age of instant gratification or failure, or instant Sunday
Morning Talk Show, or Maillist analysis.

Dave Hughes
dave () oldcolo com

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>