Interesting People mailing list archives

Which is the bigger threat?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 09:32:14 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Which is the bigger threat?
Date:   Mon, 06 Feb 2006 01:41:22 -0500
From:   Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
To:     Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

So here is a question for IP readers.

Which is the bigger threat? Google's acceding to the Chinese government on censorship, or Islamic rioting and threats over publication of cartoons depicting Mohammed? Both are issues of freedom of speech/information dissemination. Both represent the clash over a very fundamental issue of culture.

We've seen it before, usually on a smaller scale. Hate speech prohibitions, prohibitions against Nazi symbols in Germany, laws against publication of details during criminal trials in Canada, publication of research on bioweapons, restrictions on child pornography..... We even see some of it in the debate over whether the NY Times publishing the story of the President's wiretapping orders were justified or "treason."

What is "right" is very specific to each culture/country, and sometimes to a political party or ethnic group. How do we all reach common ground to say when it is appropriate to restrict dissemination of information -- if it ever is?

Note, I'm not asking about the "right to free speech" which is actually a legal right, but only in some places. I am asking about "right" in the ethical sense, as in it is the right thing to do, and to do otherwise is not right.