Interesting People mailing list archives

should you be afraid -- KBR awarded Homeland Security contract -- detention facilities in USA

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:47:28 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [IP] KBR awarded Homeland Security contract -- detention
facilities in USA]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:32:09 -0800
From: Steven Hertzberg <stevenstevensteven () gmail com>
To: ip () v2 listbox com
CC: dave () farber net

Is this poster being serious when they said: "Dave, please anonymize, don't
want to be considered a non-patriot," or were they joking?  I see that Dave
did remove their email address from the header, so I can only assume that
this poster was serious.

I do not mean to disparage this poster, but requesting anonymity for fear of
being labeled by government is quite a concern.  The founders were quite
fearful of government-over-man.  Hence, it is our duty as citizen's in our
political system to remain ever vigilant in our oversight of government, to
be the final check on their power.  In George Washington's farewell address
he warned: This fear is due to the ever-present, never-changing weaknesses
of human nature in government which are conducive to "love of power and
proneness to abuse it."  Is it not fair to say that government's power needs
only to exist to be feared--to be dominant, over the fear-ridden, without
ever needing to be exercised aggressively.  I argue that citizens cannot
allow themselves to become fear-ridden.

Steven Hertzberg
http://www.hertzberg.org