Interesting People mailing list archives

this is very important for mac users New Mac OS X "__MACOSX" ZIP Archive Shell Script Vulnerability

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:13:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: February 21, 2006 3:51:04 PM EST
To: Lee Revell <rlrevell () joe-job com>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com> Subject: Re: [IP] Basic Mac OS X Security / New Mac OS X "__MACOSX" ZIP Archive Shell Script Vulnerability

Yes, I agree 100%. The term Secure OS is an oxymoron, especially one
connected to a network.

Linux and Mac OS X does do a better job than Windows, but any OS with
lots of lines of code in the kernel and the ability to execute programs downloaded over the net
is vulnerable somewhere.

At least OS X will prompt you before it runs something as root!.

And to prove the point this just in:

Mac OS X "__MACOSX" ZIP Archive Shell Script Execution
http://secunia.com/advisories/18963/

Michael Lehn has discovered a vulnerability in Mac OS X, which can be
exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.

The vulnerability is caused due to an error in the processing of file
association meta data (stored in the "__MACOSX" folder) in ZIP
archives. This can be exploited to trick users into executing a
malicious shell script renamed to a safe file extension stored in a
ZIP archive.

This can also be exploited automatically via the Safari browser when
visiting a malicious web site.

Secunia has constructed a test, which can be used to check if your
system is affected by this issue:
http://secunia.com/mac_os_x_command_execution_vulnerability_test/

The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with
Safari 2.0.3 (417.8) and Mac OS X 10.4.5.

Solution: The vulnerability can be mitigated by disabling the "Open
safe files after downloading" option in Safari.

Do not open files in ZIP archives originating from untrusted sources.