Interesting People mailing list archives

Basic Mac OS X Security

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:03:01 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Basic Mac OS X Security
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:11:37 -0800
From: Robert J. Berger <rberger () ibd com>
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Basic Mac OS X Security
By codepoet » Posted on February 16, 2006 - 4:44am
http://www.macgeekery.com/tips/security/basic_mac_os_x_security

Well, now that we have a possible candidate for another Mac
trojan (not a virus, not a worm, not an exploit, and not good
code) I think now's as good a time as any to cover some basic
Mac OS X Security so that people not familiar with such things
have more than an ice cube's chance in Phoenix at keeping
secure.

Mac OS X is a secure operating system in that it's multi-user
and has limits on what some user accounts can do. If an account
is setup as a basic user, that user can only hurt himself, not
the whole system or other users. However, in the interest of
being "friendly" to new users, Apple leaves of a lot of the
secure bits off for the first user created and this means that
trojans like this week's can cause some pretty nasty problems on
your system.

Yet, all of this is easy to correct. Just run over the following
and you should be well on your way to a protected computer.

<snip The rest are a top 10 things to do to keep your Mac secure
BEST to go to the website as he has all sorts of screenshots and
links that are very helpful>

Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development, LLC.
Voice: 408-882-4755 eFax: +1-408-490-2868
http://www.ibd.com