Interesting People mailing list archives

Oops! :)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:25:16 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [IP] Oops! :)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:51:33 -0500
From: Jonathan Ezor <jezor () tourolaw edu>
To: dave () farber net

This is a frequent issue for people who don't understand how the "redaction"
in Acrobat works.  Essentially, it's a recoloring feature, which turns the
background the same black color as the text.  Fine for printing, completely
useless for digital reading and copy/pasting.

This came up in the reports over the shooting last year by U.S. troops
of the
Italian intelligence agent escorting rescued Italian journalist Giulana
Sgrena, and I use it as a cautionary tale in my own presentations.  You can
find a May 2005 writeup of the Sgrena report situation at:

<http://www.planetpdf.com/enterprise/article.asp?ContentID=7049>

{Jonathan}

Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
Assistant Professor of Law and Technology
Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
Touro Law Center
300 Nassau Road, Huntington, NY 11743
Tel: 631-421-2244 x412  Fax: 516-977-3001