Interesting People mailing list archives

"If you're not doing anything wrong . . ."

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:19:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Hogan <james () jamesphogan com>
Date: February 20, 2006 12:02:54 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: "If you're not doing anything wrong . . ."

The comments that I've seen miss what I would contend is more to the point. When people become conditioned to accepting snooping, and spying as a normal
part of their lives, the mere knowledge that they are likely to be under
surveillance at any time will cause them to adjust their living
unconsciously to conform to what others decide is convenient. Behavior--and
eventually thought itself--become regulated to displays of unthinking
obedience. No thanks. I'd rather keep my pride and dignity intact and accept the risks that come with living in the real world--which have little to do, in any case, with the lies and fantasies dispensed daily to promote paranoia
in the sheep pen.

        James Hogan
        Ireland