Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:52:08 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "if you are not doing anything wrong, why
should you worry about it
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:38:23 -0500
From: Howard C. Berkowitz <hcb () gettcomm com>
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

[for the list]

I don't consider surveillance cameras in public places necesarily to
be inappropriate, any more than cameras used for traffic monitoring
and accident detection are absolute intrusions on highways.  Even in
public places, however, the decision to put monitoring systems in
place should be openly discussed, approved at least by elected
officials, and there needs to be continuing oversight to avoid abuses.

As far as the "well, if you have nothing to hide..." argument for
greater intrusion, I share an experience, an anecdote, that I have
really used to get law enforcement people to rethink that cliche.

I had a police officer knock on my door, after a juvenile
fight a few houses down, and ask if he could "come in and look around."

"No."

"It's just routine."

"It's not routine for me, and since it's my house and you don't have a
warrant, my definition of routine applies."

"What, do you have something to hide?"

"Help me understand that concept, Detective. Standing on my porch,
please drop your trousers and, if any, undershorts."

"WHAAAAAT?"

"Well, if you have nothing to hide..."