Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Bush asks for more visas for high-tech workers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:05:43 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [IP] more on Bush asks for more visas for high-tech workers]
Date:   Sat, 04 Feb 2006 17:00:08 -0700
From:   David Mercer <radix42 () gmail com>
To:     dave () farber net

Dave, a few off-list replies to my comment below that you posted on IP
have made it clear to me that I wasn't being explicit enough in my
conclusion.  Of course the companies that need workers want to hire
H1-B workers, as they are cheaper.  I was addressing Bush and
Congress, and pointing out that there ARE Americans willing to take
quite a few jobs that are unfilled, and that perhaps Congress and the
President should look after American workers before the interests of
foreign workers, perhaps by offering companies incentives to relocate
American workers with some kind of tax break or something.

-David Mercer
Tucson, AZ
(for the list, although the off list comments I received didn't want
their thoughts forwarded to it, hence my replying to something I sent!
:-)