Interesting People mailing list archives

OS X hack sites closed;

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:11:00 -0500

Sites discussing Mac OS X for PCs silenced

Two water-cooler sites for hackers are down this morning, and one
of them has credited the DMCA with the outage.
http://ct.zdnet.com/clicks?c=1520458-2915407&brand=zdnet&ds=5&fs=0

Apple Computer appears to have invoked the Digital Millenium Copyright
Act to stop the dissemination of methods allowing Mac OS X to run on
chips from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices.

The chatter at the OSx86 Project was stifled Friday after the forum was
served with a notice under the DMCA, according to a posting on the site.

"We're sorry to report that despite our best efforts, the OSx86 Project
has been served with a DMCA violation notice. The forum will be
unavailable while we evaluate its contents to remove any violations
present. We thank you for your patience in this matter," the posting read.

Win2osx.net, another Web site that hosts discussions related to getting
Mac OS X onto chips with the x86 instruction set, was also down Friday.
Earlier this week, Win2osx.net's discussion forums contained a posting
from a hacker known as "Maxxuss," who made a patch available on his own
Web site that would allow programming-savvy PC users to put a recent
version of the Mac operating system on their x86 systems.

snip