Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Networked RFID and Near Field Communications]]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:48:44 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [IP] Networked RFID and Near Field Communications]
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:42:20 -0500
From: Jeffrey Joslin <jj () joslins net>
To: dave () farber net

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Networked RFID and Near Field Communications
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:32:53 +0100
From: Robert.Shaw () itu int
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

I've been in an ITU workshop on networked RFID this
week in Geneva and it is very clear from the presentations that
the experts envision mobile phones converging rapidly with RFID

Umm, that is definitely an understatement...

Cellphone could crack RFID tags, says cryptographer
Rick Merritt
EE Times
(02/14/2006 4:26 PM EST)
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=180201688

From that article:
"I haven’t tested all RFID tags, but we did test the biggest brand and
it is totally unprotected," Shamir said. Using this approach, "a
cellphone has all the ingredients you need to conduct an attack and
compromise all the RFID tags in the vicinity," he added.

Jeffrey

jeffrey joslin
president

dev::impact
   525 broadway, 2nd floor, new york, new york 10012
     (office) 646.435.7878 (fax) 646.485.4068 (cel) 646.245.8800
       (email) jeffrey () devimpact com  (web) www.devimpact.com