Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cold Fusion? I'll believe it when I see it (But wouldn't it be COOL?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:23:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: titus () caltech edu
Date: February 14, 2006 4:26:38 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Cold Fusion? I'll believe it when I see it (But wouldn't it be COOL?)

Dr. Farber,

for IP if you wish --

this is not a ridiculous situation.  For whatever reason, this press
release? blog post? doesn't emphasize that this method of fusion DOES
NOT produce more energy than is put into it.

As usual, Wikipedia has a useful entry:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroelectric_fusion

To quote,

"""
Like muon-catalyzed fusion, the process does not appear to be able to
generate net power, but may have other uses.
"""

So, yes, believe it!  And it *is* cool.  It's just not as useful as it
could be.

--titus

p.s. When a scientific announcement from UCLA is confirmed by a team
from RPI -- both very reputable physics institutions -- it's a good bet
that the announcement is reliable!

-> ><dewayne () warpspeed com>
-> >Subject: Cold Fusion?  I'll believe it when I see it (But wouldn't
-> >it be COOL?)