Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Quake cuts off much of Asia Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:20:14 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Edward Vielmetti <edward.vielmetti () gmail com>
Date: December 29, 2006 2:33:02 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Quake cuts off much of Asia Internet

for IP:

Two things noted from the Taiwan quake and its aftermath.

One is that the initial restoration of service within Asia looks like it's been
primarily done by rerouting traffic through Europe and the US.
I captured a trace from a traceroute server from Singapore to
Korea and saw round-the-globe routing for that.  Details
here:

http://vielmetti.typepad.com/vacuum/2006/12/singapore_to_se.html

The second note is that in addition to disrupting the financial
markets, this quake disrupted the international trade in in-game
gold in World of Warcraft.  So called "gold farmers" play in order
to accumulate assets in the game that are sold for cash.  From
http://www.ige.com , which bills itself as "a diversified service provider
operating the world's largest secure network of buying and selling sites
for massively multiplayer online game (MMOG) virtual currency and
assets on the Internet."

An earthquake which has struck the Asia Pacific Region has severely
disrupted our service levels. We apologize for any delay or
inconvenience this has caused.

thanks

Ed

Edward Vielmetti