Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Doctors warn of health risks in new airport security rules

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:13:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: August 10, 2006 8:00:05 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Doctors warn of health risks in new airport security rules

Dave,

We already know that TSA is considering x-raying passengers to see
through their clothes ("don't worry, we won't look at the naughty
parts, and a little extra radiation won't hurt a bit!").  Who knows
what sorts of deeper intrusive inspections might come next?

I used to get chuckles when I'd suggest (I thought tongue-in-cheek)
that the only sure way to establish the best possible (though still
imperfect) security when flying would be to fly the passengers
separate from any and all baggage, and chain those passengers hand
and foot naked to their seats.

This doesn't sound as funny anymore.  Perhaps there's a TSA study
group already working along these lines (Warning: Be sure that your
18 USC 2257 record keeping requirements are in order!)

Seriously, reasonable security measures are one thing.  Stopping
active terrorist plots before they can reach fruition is to be
praised on high.  But triggering this kind of overreaction is a
significant part of the terrorists' agenda in the first place.
Bin Laden may be laughing himself sick if he knows what's going
on at U.S. airports today.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

~