Interesting People mailing list archives

some other semi-random thoughts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:19:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: August 10, 2006 8:16:02 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: More for IP

Here are some other semi-random thoughts for the readership.

Several major US airlines are in bankruptcy court, and several outside the US are in real trouble. A few have made huge cuts to pensions and operations to enable them to survive. A few are struggling even with that (I seem to recall Delta and Northwest having the most problems?). I suspect that many business travelers will simply stop traveling rather than consign their laptops and cell phones to unlocked luggage. And how many parents will want to take their kids on board planes for vacations with such a climate of fear and restriction? This may be the death knell for a few airlines.

In the US we have (as a nation) done a fair job of dismantling the national train system, so that isn't an alternative. However, in Europe and some other places, train travel is quite reasonable. The Boston-NY-DC trains are still reasonable in the US. So, the people who don't fly may start taking the trains, and then they are a target similar to what happened in Madrid and the London Underground. How long before TSA has checkpoints and no carry-ons for trains?

Want to drive? Odds are you are more at risk behind the wheel than on a plane. And the gas prices soaring while the Alaskan pipeline is down and our national policy (in the US) seems to be to further antagonize the countries where we might import oil.... And think of the massive waste of time to drive even between two nearly major metropolitan centers....

On the upside, video conferencing is actually not too bad. Apple may see a surge in purchases simply to use Leopard's upcoming group video chat facilities!

Of course, no matter how bad the effects, they would have been many times worse had the attacks succeeded.

Dealing with the antisocial terrorists -- and especially the suicidal ones -- and balancing risk vs. reward in our defenses may well determine whether the world economy tips into something very unpleasant in the next few years. And if that happens, no one is likely to be immune anywhere in the world unless they already have nothing to lose.